Also known as The Architect of Modern Brunei, The Royal Poet, Father of Independence, and The Father of Brunei’s Negara Zikir and the 28th Paramount Ruler, Sultan of Brunei ruled between 1950 and 1967. He was Brunei’s first Minister of Defense.
Sultan of Brunei Family Profile
Members of the famous royal family of Brunei Darussalam are listed below:
Sultan of Brunei Parents – Sultan Muhammad Jamalul Alam II and Raja Isteri Fatimah
Sultan of Brunei’s father was the 26th Sultan of Brunei Darussalam. He was honored as the Knight Commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (KCMG) in 1920. Under his rule, Islamic law was introduced in an official capacity as “Muhammadan Law” in 1912, in place of Kanun Brunei. In 1913, another law, “Marriage and Divorce Act” was introduced. He married Isteri Fatimah and they had ten children together. He died at an early age of thirty-five due to a severe bout of malaria.
Sultan of Brunei’s Siblings – Ahmad Tajuddin, Pengiran Muda Besar, Pengiran Muda Tengah, Pengiran Anak Puteri Besar, Pengiran Anak P Tengah, Pengiran Anak P Damit, Pengiran M Anum, Pengiran M Laila Gambar, Pengiran M Bongsu
Born – August 22, 1913
Spouse(s) – Kadayang Amas (Maskaton) binti Ampuan Salleh, Tengku Raihani
Ahmad Tajuddin was the 27th Sultan of Brunei; during his reign, the discovery of oil provided a boost to the development of Brunei in all areas. He expanded and improved formal education and encouraged religious education. He had 4 daughters and 2 adopted sons.
Children of Ahmad Tajuddin and Kadayang Amas binti Ampuan Salleh
Children of Ahmad Tajuddin and Tengku Raihani
Yang Teramat M Pengiran Anak Noor Ehsani
Awang (later Haji) Samat bin Mudim Yahya (Adopted)
Awangku Bakar (Adopted)
Little is known about the rest of the siblings.
Sultan of Brunei Spouse(s) – Dayang Siti Amin binti Pehin Orang Kaya Pekerma Setia Laila Diraja Awang Haji Hashim, Pengiran Anak Damit, Pengiran B Seri Maharaja, P Pengiran Anak Abdul Rahman (died 1979), Pengiran Bini Hajah Salhah binti Pengiran Bendahara Seri Maharaja Permaisuara Pengiran Anak Abdul Rahman (died 2011)
The Sultan of Brunei’s second wife was also his cousin. His third wife was also his sister-in-law.
Children of the Sultan of Brunei and Pengiran Anak Damit binti, Pengiran Bendahara Seri Maharaja, Permaisuara Pengiran and Anak Abdul Rahman
Name – Hassanal Bolkiah
Born – July 15, 1946
Married to – Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim (Ex), Hajah Mariam (Ex), Pengiran Anak Saleha (Current)
Hassanal Bolkiah is the current Sultan of Brunei and also the country’s first Prime Minister. He is estimated to be worth $20 billion.
Name – Prince Mohamed Bolkiah
Born – August 27, 1947
Married to – Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Zariah
Prince Mohamed Bolkiah serves as the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Brunei since 1984 along with Jim Lock Seng. He has 10 children.
Name – Prince Sufri Bolkiah
Born – July 31, 1951
Married to – Bini Faizah
Prince Sufri Bolkiah is the President of the Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council.
Name – Prince Jefri Bolkiah
Born – November 06, 1954
Married to – Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Norhayati Rahman (Official Wife), Fatima Abdullah (Current), Jefrida Mohammed (Ex), Ayen Munji (Ex), Salma Abdullah (Ex)
Prince Jefri Bolkiah used to be the Finance Minister of Brunei between 1986 and 1998 and the chairman of the Brunei Investment Agency (BIA). He has 18 children.
Name – Princess Masna
Born – September 06, 1948
Married to – Pengiran Abdul Aziz
Princess Masna became the Ambassador-at-Large at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1995. She has 5 children.
Very little information is available on the four youngest sisters of the current Sultan of Brunei.
Children of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and Pengiran Anak Saleha
1. Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah
2. Prince Abdul Malik
3. Princess Rashidah
4. Princess Muta-Wakkilah
5. Princess Majeedah
6. Princess Hafizah
Children of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and Hajah Mariam
1. Pengiran Muda Haji Abdul Azim
2. Pengiran Anak Puteri Azemah Ni’matul Bolkiah
3. Pengiran Anak Puteri Fadzillah Lubabul Bolkiah
4. Pengiran Muda Abdul Mateen
Children of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim
1. Pengiran Muda Abdul Wakeel
2. Pengiran Anak Puteri Ameerah Wardatul Bolkiah
Children of Princess Rashidah and Dr. Kemaluddin Al Haj
1. Pengiran Anak Raheemah Sanaul Bolkiah binti Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim
2. Pengiran Anak Hariisah Widadul Bolqiah binti Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim
3. Pengiran Anak ‘Abdul Raqiib bin Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim
4. Pengiran Anak ‘Abdul Haseeb bin Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim
5. Pengiran Anak Raqeeqah Raayatul Bolqiah binti Pengiran Maharaja Setia Laila Diraja Sahibul Irshad Pengiran Anak Haji Abdul Rahim
Children of Princess Majeedah and Syed Haaji Jaafari
1. Pengiran Anak ‘Abdul Hafeez bin Pengiran Anak Khairul Khalil
2. Pengiran Anak Raihaanah Hanaa-Ul Bolqiah binti Pengiran Anak Khairul Khalil
Children of Princess Hafizah and Dr. Haji Mohammad Yakub
1. Pengiran Anak Muhammad Za’eem bin Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Anak Haji Muhammad Ruzaini
Net worth of the Sultan of Brunei (Omar Ali Saifuddien III)
Omar Ali Saifuddien III died on September 07, 1986. His son was adjudged by Forbes to be the world’s richest man with an estimated net worth of $40 billion in 1997.